Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

My name is Michelle and I live in Kent, UK. I share my home with my Mr M, three gorgeous daughters (#1,#2 & #3) plus three equally lovely rescue dogs. I have a degree in Fine Art and trained as an art teacher, but now work in a secondary school with children who have speech and language disorders. In my spare time I love to absorb myself in art and crafts. I love to paint, draw, sew, collage, sculpt and do lots of photography. I have an etsy shop where my things can be found and hope you enjoy wandering around my blog. Please don't use my images without permission. Have a wonderful day :D

7/15/2010

Walking a path of creativity..

I recently bought 'Walking in this World' by Julia Cameron.. and started it at the weekend. I've not got very far mind you, as I never get heaps of time to read but have managed a few pages so far. Basically, it's a course to set you thinking about your own creative trail... the path you walk and how you experiment with your own art and craft. I like this idea.. the author has just got to the bit about procrastination and resistance and these are something that I am quite good at doing when it comes to being creative. She writes about a friend who always talked of having his own studio and this friend had decided that 'he couldn't make art until he had a proper studio, because of space issues and finding somewhere to do his large pieces of work etc'. However, once her friend actually got his studio, although he created one large piece of art, he then went on to work on small paintings, all of which he could have done on a kitchen table or even on his lap in front of the telly! I'm a bit like that... putting art stuff off in case 'I go wrong/ruin it/get the undesired effect' etc and often come up with whinges that go like "ohhh I can't start.. there's nowhere to put my stuff.. can't be bothered to keep putting it all away again because dinner needs dishing up" .. but to be honest.. it really is just about 'starting and actually stopping the resistance. And starting I think is probably one of the hardest parts. Although.. she also speaks of having discipline and one of her requests is that the artist begins writing in a journal each morning - just allowing all the inner drivel to come up and out, and then closing that book (therefore freeing up space in your mind for creativity). Now.. this sounds hard for me.. getting up early to write??? And then not reading it back??? I don't think I can get up any earlier.. I love my bed..I don't like using a pen. I prefer to type... oh dear. Am I resisting? It sounds like it! Watch this space....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home